** Christmas Tree Recycling **
Related Achievement: N/A
- Is a Tour Permit Required:No
- Contact for arrangements: DiSabatino Landscaping & Tree Service 302-764-0408
- Date (Any significant time of year or date): Between Jan 1st and 10th, past years have shown that there needs to be sifficient time after Christmas to allow people to get their trees down. We have done it from the 3rd - 7th in previous years, depending on where the weekend falls.
- Location: The Independence School
- Directions: N/A
- Accomodations if overnight: N/A
- How far in advance should arrangements be made: Use of School grounds and need for mulch - September; Chipper - at 2 months early; Advertisements - 1.5 months early, Distribution of flyers to Independence - 3 weeks before Christmas break
- Is transportation provided, if so what vendor was used(including contact
- Parent permission slip required: No, parent attend event.
- Cost to scout / family: None
- Does the event benefit a non-profit organization: The Independence School and the community. We do not charge to recycle the trees that otherwise may be difficult to dispose of.
- Web link for more info: See detials below
- What forms are required to be submitted by scout(i.e. Ski form): N/A
- Additional Info: Chipper: Must be industrial size chipper, big enough to handle any size Christmas Tree (backyard shredders are not strong enough)
We got chipper and person to run chipper from DiSabatino. If you rent a chipper, you must deal with liability, fuel, damage, etc.
Expect to pay something for use of chipper, fuel and person working chipper.
KEEP BOYS AWAY FROM CHIPPER.
Scouts involvement can come more in the form of helping with incoming customers, spreading the mulch on school grounds, etc.
If the school needs the mulch find out where they want it, otherwise DiSabatino has offered to take it in the past but that should be pre-arranged.
Advertisement: See LINK which was created for this event.
Advertisements are free and should be arranged well in advance of event, at least 1.5 months ahead.
Sign out front of Independece. We have a reusable plywood sign that can be used for this event. We usually put out the sign, attached to the wood post fence on the right side as you enter the driveway the week of the event. Since the sign says Saturday (no date), it can't go out earlier). The sign should not require any changes as long as the Day of week and time of event don't change.
The Flyer should be updated with the new date and used for printouts that can be distributed school-wide at TIS by working with the administration. It is also used to create the web page that we link to from the calendar.
Try to bring the following materials:
Gloves, outdoor brooms or leaf blower, a few garbage bags. We usually have beverages and donuts as well as a football (the kids love to play when there isn't any traffic coming through).
Links to documentation:
MS Publisher Document to modify for event flyer
Christmas Tree Recycling EXTERNAL event flyer - This can easily be converted into a PDF and emailed if necessary.
Sample email to Pack to be sent from EventChair email account
Previous year's flyers: